Daryl M. Crone
Crone Hawxhurst LLP
ProfileDaryl is a founding partner of the firm. He specializes in complex commercial and intellectual property litigation. He has successfully litigated a diverse array of cases involving commercial contracts, all manner of intellectual property (including trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets and patents), product liability, corporate control, real estate, employment and royalty disputes on behalf of both plaintiffs and defendants. Daryl has helped to protect some of the world’s most famous trademarks and copyrights. Clients look to Daryl to strategically manage their risk, and he has had great success disposing of difficult matters by pretrial motion or through favorable settlement. Daryl also has represented clients in appellate matters before the Seventh Circuit, the Ninth Circuit and California appellate courts. Daryl is author of “Why Federal Jurisdiction Matters: The Impact of Marshall v. Marshall on Probate Court Litigation,” published in the summer 2009 issue of California Trusts and Estates Quarterly. In 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012, Los Angeles Magazine recognized Daryl as a Southern California “Rising Star.”
Daryl received his J.D. from Harvard Law School in 2000, where he graduated cum laude. Prior to attending law school, Daryl was an Echols Scholar at the University of Virginia, where he received a bachelor’s degree in History with distinction. In 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013, Los Angeles Magazine recognized Daryl as a Southern California “Rising Star.”
- Retained by one of the nation’s largest retailers to help defend against a claim that changes to the software used in operating its tool rental business breached a nondisclosure agreement. The plaintiff sought disgorgement of tens of millions of dollars that our client earned as a result of the alleged breach. Daryl was co-lead trial counsel, and obtained a complete defense judgment after a weeklong bench trial in federal court.
- Retained by one of the world’s largest software companies to defend against significant contract and fraud claims brought by a disgruntled reseller, which sought millions of dollars in damages for our client’s alleged misconduct. Daryl obtained summary judgment against all of the plaintiff’s claims.
- Retained by an Academy Award® winning director, an Academy Award® winning screenwriter and a major motion picture studio in connection with claims that our clients had infringed the copyright in plaintiffs’ screenplay and stolen their idea for what ultimately became an internationally-acclaimed film. Plaintiffs sought more than $100 million in damages. Daryl helped obtain summary judgment against all of the plaintiffs’ claims.
- Retained by a national restaurant chain that had been sued by one of California’s preeminent product liability plaintiffs’ lawyers for allegedly having sold “adulterated” cigarettes to one of its customers decades ago. In a prior action, the same attorney had obtained a multibillion dollar jury verdict against the tobacco manufacturer, which at the time was the largest jury verdict ever in the State of California. Daryl obtained dismissal of the case at the pleading stage.
- Retained by the majority shareholders of a private company located in California in heated litigation regarding control of the corporation. Shortly after appearing in the case, Daryl obtained removal of the “independent director” that the court had appointed at the minority shareholder’s insistence, and who was interfering with our clients’ right to control the company. Following several days of argument on a motion to dissolve an injunction that the court had issued against our clients prior to our involvement, Daryl obtained an agreement from the corporation’s minority shareholder to settle the entire litigation on favorable terms.
Public ServiceDaryl is involved with several charities in the Los Angeles County area and has been recognized by the Governor of the State of Maryland for his public service. Daryl also has represented numerous individuals in criminal court who were unable to afford counsel.
EducationHarvard Law School
(J.D., cum laude, 2000)
University of Virginia
(B.A., with distinction, 1997)
Representative ClientsAvery Dennison Corporation
Dr Pepper Snapple Group
Home Depot U.S.A., Inc.
International House of Pancakes, Inc.
Mirrus Systems, Inc.
Oracle America, Inc.
Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd.